Interesting facts about online live tutoring every parent and student should know
What is online live tutoring?
Online tutoring is the refined version of traditional tutoring done online. These are private online live classes by an instructor / tutor on a real-time basis done with the help of computer.
The traditional teaching aids like board and duster are replaced by on screen white board and digital eraser to write and rub with audio facility using which both student and teacher can see, ask questions and clear doubts from the comfort of their homes or from anywhere else with a broadband connection. This whiteboard along with the voice of the tutor and student does the job seamlessly.
How effective is online tutoring?
It is truly one to one with no room for distraction of any manner.
Wide choice of subject specialist devoid of geographical boundaries.
Anywhere, any device access so that the student does not miss out on any sessions for any reason.
Neither the teacher nor the student can afford to miss out on any part of the session since it will show evidently.
Optimum productivity or use of time slot ensures effective learning and scoring. The time slot is fully dedicated to learning and doing with continuous attention and hand-holding by the instructor.
Quality and effective education at affordable prices.
This method has gained popularity in recent times and has been seen as quite effective as this makes quality education quite affordable and available at the comforts of the student’s home.
The effectiveness comes from the fact that both tutor and student don’t have to travel allowing cost and time savings.
What are the advantages of online tutoring?
The key advantage of online tutoring is the convenience and affordability it provides. Few advantages are as below:
- Quality education:You get qualified and high quality tutors who are full time into teaching due to the effectiveness of this method.
- Affordable:Online tutoring is affordable due to cost advantages associated with it.
- Commute advantage:Neither the tutor nor the students spend time, money and energy commuting.
- Comfort:The students study from the comforts of their own homes.
- Supervision:The child studies under parent’s supervision.
- Flexibility:You can get the tutoring session at your convenient timings.
- Safety:Most important of all, the child studies in the safe home environment. Tutors are selected after thorough background vetting processes and tutoring sessions are also monitored for added safety.
- Personalized session:The sessions are personalized to cater to the specific students’ need.
How would online tutoring be different from traditional tutoring method?
In case of online tutoring, there is no need for the tutor and the student to be present in the same place unlike traditional tutoring. The tutor present in one end of the world uses an on-screen whiteboard to write and edit which is visible to the student in another part of the world.
The student can also write back or edit on the white board making it an interactive session. This whiteboard along with the voice of the tutor does the job seamlessly and in fact in a better manner compared to traditional methods.
What is an on-screen white board?
An on-screen whiteboard is a rectangular white space provided by the tutoring software/application on the screen of the computer, laptop or any other electronic gadgets where the tutors can write or edit using tools like virtual pen/pencil/ eraser etc.
PowerPoint presentations, videos and other forms of media can also be played on the whiteboard to make the session more interesting.
What is most effective is that the student on the other side can also do the same which makes it a highly interactive tutoring session.
Does online tutoring need anything special at the student end?
Initially the sessions can be managed without this as the student can type in or use a mouse but once we get into more number of sessions, you may have to get one. This can be purchased from online stores. We can assist you in case you need guidance on this.
Listed below are the basic requirements that are easily available with most households
- computer, laptop or tablet,
- Broadband connection (faster the better)
- A Skype account and app (available for free to sign up and download)
- Adobe flash player needs to be installed (This is also available as a free download)
- Headphone with a microphone/mouth piece is ideal to have. A laptop/computer with receiver and a speaker can also do provided the sound quality is good. Basically, whatever the student says should be audible to the tutor and vice versa.