The most proven practical tips to increase memory power for board and competitive exam students.
Tips and Tricks for a sharp mind and enhanced brainpower
Whether you are in the beginning of the academic year or at the near end of it, the only thing that matters for every student, especially those preparing for board and competitive exams is strong memory, excellent retention and incredible brainpower. ‘Strong memory’ is the miracle adjective that can change the way you study and reproduce and if some among you are one of those gifted with strong memory there can be no limits to your score and career scope. A strong memory depends on the health and vitality of your brain. Here is an encouraging fact. Whether you’re a student studying for board or competitive exams, a working professional who wishes to stay mentally sharp, or even a senior aiming to retain and improve your grey matter as you age, there are no limits to what you can do to enhance your memory and mental abilities.
Improving your memory: tips for boosting brain power at any age
First of all you must come out of the thought that memory and brainpower reduce with age. There is scientific evidence that the human brain for one has an astonishing ability to adapt and change regardless of age. This ability is known as ‘Neuroplasticity’. When exposed to the right stimulation or exercise, your brain has been found to form new neural pathways, revamp previously existing connections and imbibe and react in inexplicable ways.
This phenomenon of the brain’s to morph itself holds good for learning and memory as well. You can leverage on the natural power of neuroplasticity to increase your cognitive abilities, enhance your ability to learn new information, and improve your memory at any age. Don’t take this as just another tall claim lacking evidence. Here are a few tips to show how
Exercise your brain- use it or lose it
First you need to understand the way your brain works to know how to exercise it. Our brain develops millions of neural pathways as we mature into adults based on our thought process, logical thought patterns and routine activities. These millions of neural pathways are the very factors that help you process and recall information quickly, solve familiar problems, and execute familiar tasks with a minimum of mental effort. So if you stick to routine no new pathways form and you allowing your brain to rust. New thought patterns, new logics and new activities are the essence of a well exercised that will be able to process and remember information.
The best brain exercises break your routine and challenge you to use and develop new neural pathways.
4 Key ingredients of a good memory boosting exercise
Here are the 4 Key ingredients of a good memory boosting exercise:
- Fresh and fascinating – should not be anything that you must have tried at any point of your timeline. A very intellectually demanding exercise that you are already accustomed to cannot be effective. Remember exercises that are virgin and out of your comfort zone can act as memory boosters.
- Truly challenging – Not just challenging at some point but throughout. For instance learning to sing a new song is better than singing a difficult song that you already know by heart.
- Level based approach – start with a level and keep going to the next when you begin to feel comfortable with the previous one. Therefore you can ensure that there is an increase as well as a change on a continued basis.
- Include recognition or rewards – this will ensure interest and involvement levels are at their best throughout devoid of the challenges the exercise might pose. The delight and satisfaction levels are also high in the above acenario.
List of Suggested brain boosting activities
Think of something new you’ve always wanted to try,
- Learning to play a musical instrument
- Clay modeling
- play chess
- Speak a foreign language or a new language
- Learn dance to prepare for a party.
Any of these activities can help you improve your memory, so long as they keep you challenged and engaged.